Monday, March 10, 2014

Finished Items: B5678 and M5890

I *FINALLY* finished that dang blasted Butterick top. I am wearing it today to decide if I like it enough to redo a couple tricky things like the curved hem and cuff top-stitching. It's a bit fiddly in this poplin (Loud and it's clingy)...and the curve of the princess seams are higher than where my actual bust is. So I think I'm going to move on to V8772 and try that one before making another version of B5678. It's darted and I feel like darts are easier to manipulate than curved seams. No?

(Sorry for extra crappy photos)


This is after Chipotle and cake...







**You know how everyone says don't sew while tired? I say don't try on at night! :-O I am so bloated by evening that I have had SEVERAL things get tossed aside in a fit only to put it on some other day and realize it does fit...just not at 10 p.m. when I'm all full-o-bloat.

I don't remember fighting with the hem on the previous trials of this shirt...but I wanted to throw this thing while hemming. Also, I goofed on the buttons. I swear I tried it on several times to judge where the FIRST button -aka- the bust button should go. Nope, it's too low and they are too far apart...even though I used the recommended number of buttons. I was thinking of sewing in a snap right above the bust button and right below it...We will see.

On that note, I did not get to my vest. I pulled it out and contemplated it...but I didn't start it. I did however pull out M5890 and get it sewn up - both the top and the dress. Verdict? LOVE.

McCall's 5890
Uninspiring, right?


 Through several McCall's sales, I looked at this pattern and always put it back. And then I saw it made up on someone and thought, WOW!!! THAT is flattering!

I only have dress form pictures due to feeling very oompa loompa like this weekend (I blame the cake...not myself but the cake!)




Fabric for both is ITY knit from FabricMart. Love to wear and sew (serge) it, hate to hem it. Hate. Hate. Hate. 

Hate that they suggest "turn 3/8" then turn 3/8" again" for finishing the neckline and arms.

Love the princess seamed front and back and the scoop neckline. The b&w top is now no longer work appropriate because it scoops low enough to show my tattoo. Dang it. The dress did not get hemmed as low.

Also, the top is kind of short. Like danger of belly action when you lift your arms. But the dress is too long. ALSO, I don't want to hack off at the hem of the dress because I don't want to lose the flare.

So I think I'll trace the top off (this time I just folded the pattern and cut the fabric) and lengthen it...and shorten the pattern for the dress.

Do dots make you happy too??



The more I stared at this fabric for the dress, the more I loved it. It's graphic and the print kind of melds together. I put my grey cardigan (which I love but is totally not the best silhouette for me) and loved it. Then I realized this print goes with SO many things in my closet!!

Bottom right is my black M6844 cardigan...all others are RTW.


Otherwise I spent hours -- HOURS -- making shorts muslins. More on that tomorrow.

AND I have over committed to things I want to do in March.
-New to Me Pattern Company contest
-Fitted Blouse contest
-March MAGAM
-Trench coat sew-along

We will see how the next 21 days play out!

30 comments:

  1. Girl... you have done some sewing.. Great job..Know you had fun.. I absolutely love your dress and polka dot tops [polka dot is perfect EVERY time,ha].. The dress looked so pretty paired with all the different cardi/jackets.. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polka dots! Happy! Fun! And I was a victim of sewing while tired last night... I made some minor mistakes on a dress I made! Ugh. Now what did you end up doing for the hems and to finish the necklines etc of the ITY top? Their suggestion to fold it twice and sew is rather lame-- it usually ends up sloppy AND you get super annoyed with the process, too! For the bottom hem, I would stabilize it with Easy Knit Tape (I get it at Joann's), ironed on the wrong side, then fold it over and twin needle stitch it. I call this stuff the U.S.'s answer to that Vilene Bias tape. http://www.shoppellon.com/products/891-ek150-easy-knit-tape-10-yards.aspx
    I used some last night on a cute dress I have not blogged about yet. Here is post of a garment I used it on http://www.kathy-sews.com/2013/05/easy-breezy-summer-dress-mccalls-6744.html

    You can also use this stuff on gently curving necklines. If appropriate for the look of the garment, I make bindings for the armholes and neckline... like such... http://www.kathy-sews.com/2013/07/burda-running-shirt-updated-version.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go get some of that stuff!!!

      I saw your cute blue dot dress before and was intrigued by the fusible tape.

      Always so helpful with links. Thanks :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kathy for mentioning the Easy Knit tape. I've never used it as I've always used stitch witchery. I may have to give this other tape a try.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Kathy for the info. I really want to tidy up my knit edges and this might be what I need.

      Delete
  3. Again I am slightly overwhelmed by your considerable output!

    I love your tops & dress, you have nailed your style beautifully. I am also inspired to try spots on me. Maybe. Just try them, then but a plain or a stripe as per usual. Spots look terrific on others!

    Blaming the cake makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should go for it!! :)

      It was totally the cake. My output this weekend was due largely to being home alone for a chunk of time. And other times being home with teens who don't rouse til noon! :)

      Delete
  4. Nice tops and dress! I purchased that same Fabric Mart fabric you used for the dress--I love it too! It is sitting in my closet, and I will get around to using it, I'm sure. You are right, it is a great neutral that goes with a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa!!

      Can't wait to see what you make up with it.

      Delete
  5. Nakisha - can I give you a hint about the blouses and everything else - sometimes you don't have to follow the pattern instructions. If you need more buttons, use more buttons spaced closer together. If you don't want to turn under, find another way that you like better and use it. The pattern instructions are just instructions - you can deviate from them! The whole point of sewing is to make the garment work for you. Okay that's it - that's my hint for the day! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I love the dress and how you've styled it!

      Delete
    2. I agree. I always use more buttons than stated in the pattern for woven blouses, and I do the placement myself. (Hint: once you get the buttons the way you like on one blouse, you can use that blouse as a template for future blouses.)

      I nearly *always* bind my knit edges. I only stitch and hem (and only once, never twice) on things like cowl necklines where I don't want to add weight to the edge.

      Delete
  6. Also, great top and dress! (Forgot to mention that!) :)

    ReplyDelete


  7. Yeah, I didn't use their placement...I tried it on to make sure I had it where I wanted and still placed them wrong! Grr!!!

    I used their suggested 6 buttons though.

    Carolyn I rarely read instructions anymore unless I get stumped. I often end up more confused by Big 4 instructions than helped! I do prefer New Look instructions to many others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thanks!! :)

    I can't wear dresses to work and am excited to build up a weekend spring/summer/fall wardrobe with lots of easy wear dresses!

    ITY knit dress? Yes please! Throw it on and go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and ALSO (! Lol!!!) I am hinting not so quietly for the Brother cover stitch since I sew so many knits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got one off ebay...more to come on my blog this week but I'm pretty darn excited about it!! Also, are you making Thurlow muslins? I spent a month on one pair of Thurlows last year. I don't know if I'll ever use another trouser pattern again because it would mean MORE MUSLINS ahhhh!

      Delete
    2. I want one! Whiiiiiine!

      Yes. The Thurlows. I tried to just use my S2700 pattern but it just wasn't working. The Thurlows are the style I had in my mind (sans cuffs).

      Delete
  10. I love that dress. I overlooked this pattern as well because the envelope styling was kind of meh.

    I never bother with princess seams. I always have better luck with darts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to see how the vogue pattern works for me based on other darted tops (like NL 6104) and the NL dress I am making.

      Delete
  11. I made the top from this pattern & you're right, it is a little low for comfort, I've worked with the pattern & brought the neck up & will try it again as I love the princes seams, may have to give the dress a try! yours looks fantastic paired with the jacket!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shoulder princess seams are my BFF; they make it so much easier...well...less swear-inducing for me to fit. You can always lower the bust curve on a princess seam. I talk about it here: http://yousewgirl.blogspot.com/2011/06/fitting-mccalls-5847-sleeveless-version.html

    I have that same fabric from FM. I also have the pattern, so you might just have a twin soon. =) I love how you styled the dress with alternate toppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. That was easy. So easy! Oh L! Now you're gonna make me try this top again! Shoot!!! :)

      Yay! "Twinsies as my teen daughter would say. Lol!!!!!

      Delete
  13. I love dots too! in fact, I was thinking of wearing my polka dotted tank I made last year to work tmw, under a cardi....
    Where did you get your polka dot ITY btw? Because I want more of it and can't find any!

    And I have to say again, you sew SO much! I don't know how find the time to do so much sewing AND write about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Fabric Mart Kyle! I got black and white and black and cream. Dots are funnnn! :)

      I often read other blogs and feel mine leaves much to be desired...but I'm not a writer so posting doesn't take me very long AT ALL. LOL!

      I try to just ensure I include the pertinent details and hopefully a funny here and there ;-)

      Delete
  14. You are really cranking out some lovely things!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks!! It feels good on too. Maybe one day here in Minneapolis we will have like, sunshine or something and I can wear it! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!