Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Random Musings

1. There are so many sewing ladies I'd love to meet in person!

2. I am grateful for all of the positive feedback, encouragement, answers to questions and constructive criticism that I receive here and on Pattern Review - THANK YOU! Sincerely. 

3. I cannot believe I have nearly 50 followers. I know some have hundreds and even thousands -- but I'm still quite amazed and again, I am grateful. 

4. I am seriously coveting a cover stitch. Seriously. 

5. I have 87,341 things I want to sew. Pesky details like work and sleep are interfering. 

6. I am still giddy when I make belt carriers. It's so simple yet so awesome to do!

7. I think I am the only person who doesn't find the Betzina fly zipper tutorial the most awesome. I like the instructions in the Burda pants I'm sewing for the boy. That zipper looks good. 

8. I am a fabric addict (surprise!!). I need some more cotton lawn and voile. And I need crepe. NEED. And ponte. I need more ponte. 

9. I am deliriously infatuated with bias cut plaid. 

10. I am deliriously excited about turning 35 this year. 

11. I am gaining quite the appreciation for the Tilton Vogue designs. 

12. I suck at hand sewing. My hand sewing looks like my handwriting. 

13. I am going to trace everything in the April Burda Style when it arrives. ALL of the things!

14. I'm still knitting that sweater. I missed the deadline. But she wasn't upset. 

15. I forgot I'm also participating in the Burda monthly sewalong deal. But my shorts will count for March. 

My New Sewer Grievance:
Why are gathered skirts suggested for beginners? 

Getting pretty, even gathers is no small feat! 

ETA: pants sneak peek


20 comments:

  1. Love this! Can't wait to see your Burda makes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you on #5. Who needs to finish that dissertation? I have so many things I need to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Anna. Exactly. Sure your future is riding on it but still...there is SEWING to be done!!!! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship with gathered skirts. They are not easy to sew. Trying to get all those gathers even without thread breaking...argh. And it's not the most flattering for some body types. I prefer pleats. That being said, I'm about to start a dress with a gathered skirt.

    Usually, I ignore Burda patterns because of the tracing and/or PDF printing involved, however, a couple of plus size patterns (I'm on the cusp as far as sizing goes) popped up on the site that I have to sew like now.

    I can't wait to see your Burda creations. The more I see your makes, the more I'm inspired to give Burda a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are NOT easy to sew!!! Grr!!!

      I am quickly getting over pdf patterns. I have nearly 300 envelope patterns that I can cut out or trace if I have to. I now have a nice small stash of Burda mags that I can trace.

      Printing, taping, THEN tracing and cutting is becoming less and less appealing. I think it's why I have yet to try one of my Lekala's. I don't wanna tape.

      I am also on the cusp. I need a 40/42 top and 44 bottom. There is a jacket in the April issue that I must have that starts at 44. I'm thinking about just not adding seam allowances.

      I was surprised at how much simpler the tracing is than I imagined. I think you should give it a try!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one with terrible handwriting AND handsewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always look forward to reading your blog. You stay busy with projects--this is so inspiring for me!! Sergers can be expensive, but check garage sales, estate sales, etc. You may be able to find one really cheap. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I will be on the lookout.

      Delete
  6. Yes to #4!!! Me too!!! I love sewing knits, and I am tired of my twin needle. So, I am waiting and saving. I have my eye on a Brother I found on Amazon.com. And yes, gathering is not my favorite (nor easiest) thing to do either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try Kathy's tip to use that knit stabilizer stuff and then twin needle over that...but for now I am not sold on it.

      Is it the 2340CV or something?? That's a popular intro coverstitch

      Delete
  7. Have you tried gathering with your serger? It finishes the raw edge and gathers at the same time!! It blew me away the first time I tried it.
    The pants are looking GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I tried once and failed so I didn't try again. It's about time I had another day of practicing techniques.

      I will give it a go because I want to make another S2443 dress for this summer!

      Delete
  8. I love this - no surprise there as I love lists! Might have to follow suit one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am sure that would be a great list!

      Delete
  9. Coverstitch - you and me both. I'm looking at the Janome. And your son's pants look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am now a woman obsessed. I have to have one. Have to!

      Delete
  10. I used to struggle with gathers until I started using the great tips from older sewing books:
    -- use two rows of gathering, one 1/8" inside the seam line, the other 1/8" outside the seam line;
    -- altering the stitch length to match the fabric makes gathering easier (but I forget whether light fabrics need short stitches and heavy fabrics long ones, or vice versa. :p);
    -- dividing the area to be gathered into 4 or 8 sections, instead of doing the whole shebang in one go.

    I use all of these tips except the stitch length tip, and gathering is actually rather pleasant now. Looking good in gathers, though .... different story.

    Anyway, I bet your gathering is already immaculate! (Which makes up for less immaculate handsewing, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gathering is really nice...on nice, thin cottons! hahahaha! Although I did do some gathering last night that turned out better than I expected. I hadn't tried to two lines of basting stitches. Might give it a go!

      Oh my gosh my handsewing...lol!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!